26 February 2011

Bedtime Issues

We are having bedtime issues with Joanne. She's definitely not having enough sleep for her age....

Typical weekday waking time: 730am
Typical sleeping time: 11pm
Naptime: 1+ hour
Total amount of sleep: 9.5 hours
Required amount of sleep: >10 hours

Every night I have to struggle with her not wanting to sleep. She will struggle here, struggle there, talk to herself, talk to us, talk to Matthew. I have to threaten her with a cane. Last night, I finally caned her. She cried, quietened down and fell asleep.

Bedtime routine? By the time I come home everyday, the children would have had their dinner and would most likely be watching TV. Matthew will play piano and some PC game. Jo will do her own things (such as drawing, colouring) and watch TV. They will brush their teeth after milk / milo, change into their pyjamas and go to the room at 10pm for bedtime story. After which, it's lights off.

Matthew will lay down on bed quietly, sometimes sing softly to himself and will sleep shortly after.

Joanne is the terror. She's our Energizer bunny. She will move move move, talk talk talk till she's totally drained and "out of battery"... sometimes I'm so tired that I fall asleep before her. sometimes while I'm sleeping and she disturbs me, I'll wake up angry... sigh.. what am I to do with this girl?!

So what happens when a child does not have enough sleep? Cranky, sleepy and uncooperative child. It shows more in Matthew when he doesn't have enough sleep, compared to Joanne.

Some articles on sleep.
How much sleep does your child need?
Connection between sleep and growth - 2 to 4 year old
Connection between sleep and growth - 5 to 8 year old
Irregular sleep tied to kids' obesity

Irregular sleep are associated with kids obesity!? oh no....

No comments: